Monday, February 8, 2016

I'm Up by Young Thug


Recently I reviewed the newest Future album EVOL (a review which you can read right here) and during that review, I mentioned the subtle subtweets and disses exchanged between Future and fellow Atlanta based rapper Young Thug over the last year or so, thanks to the two rappers embracing the state of 21st century hip-hop where all "rap beef" takes place on Twitter. Regardless of the words exchanged between the two, the true showdown came this past Friday as both artists released their own respective projects. While Future's EVOL was an average trap project that gave us the same Future we've been seeing for his last few releases, I was hoping Young Thug would seize the opportunity to capitalize on his seemingly always growing momentum, and finally prove himself as a rapper.

Originally, it was Slime Season 3 that was planned to be released this month. Instead, however, Young Thug, claiming inspiration from Kanye West and all the name changes his upcoming release (now titled Waves, incase you weren't sure) went through. Under the name I'm Up, Thug has released his 10th project since the beginning of 2014, and yet still, Thug fails to prove that he's deserving of his popularity.

The promising opener F Cancer, is a tribute to rapper Boosie Badazz, who had announced his diagnosis of cancer back in November of last year. The bass driven, upbeat production coupled with Thug's flow and simplistic lyrics and a feature from Quavo (of Migos fame) actually helps build an enjoyable, catchy cut that Thug has proven he is capable of doing in the past. Unfortunately it is one of the few songs on the album that actually manages to do enough to standout. For My People and Special are two other moments on the project where Thug is able to make a slight statement, thanks to the spacey trap production and intriguing features. Aside from that however, I'm Up is a collection of generic, boring, subpar trap songs. Thug's exuberant personality is no where to be found on the project, and much like I mentioned in my review of Future's EVOL, Thug is becoming another artist who is putting out far too much material and rather than impressing like he did when he first blew up, he's slowly assuring his fate as just another musical fad rather than a truly enjoyable act.

Each time I listen to I'm Up, I can't help but struggle to pay attention once I'm four or five cuts in. There's nothing impressive or enjoyable being shown aside from the few decent cuts I mentioned previously. If it comes down to Future or Thug, I'm listening to EVOL over I'm Up any day of the week, and that's not necessarily a compliment to either artist, but more so just proof that both are beginning to overstay their welcome thanks to the far too frequent releases.

Favorite Tracks: F Cancer, For My People, Special

Least Favorite Tracks: King TROUP, Hercules

Rating: 2/5

Below you can watch the F Cancer music video, which is co-directed by Thug himself, and also features the rapper/now director(?) being dressed head-to-toe in a set of pink scrubs.







No comments:

Post a Comment